The Glimmerglass Experience
Opera in the Glimmerglass tradition
Under Artistic & General Director, Francesca Zambello, The Glimmerglass Festival continues its tradition of four new fully staged productions, including three operas and one work of American musical theater --performed with full orchestra, large cast and no sound amplification. These four productions are supplemented by special performances, concerts, lectures and symposiums throughout the season.
An intimate, one-of-a-kind theater
The Alice Busch Opera Theater is an integral part of the Glimmerglass experience. Its casual elegance, beautiful surroundings and excellent acoustics provide an intimate, one-of-a-kind operatic encounter. Learn more about the theater, its unique design and history.
Scenic surroundings and rolling lawns
Glimmerglass’s scenic lakeside grounds invite you to stroll, picnic and relax in a place that’s dedicated to music and the arts. The unspoiled beauty of Central New York’s rural landscape provides what The Sunday Times of London has called “the most magical of settings.” Learn more here.
Make the most of your experience
- Gourmet picnics: Available to pre-order, and delivered fresh daily, to enjoy on our scenic grounds.
- Onsite Dining: Enjoy delicious made-to-order wraps and sandwiches or visit our wine bar to create a special picnic on our grounds.
- Free Previews: Join our expert music staff in the Preview Pavilion one hour before each performance for a free, insightful exploration of the work you're about to experience.
- Performances in the Pavilion: Concerts featuring both guest and Young Artists. Drop by to see and hear a future star! Tickets are available at the Box Office.
- Backstage Tours: each double-performance Saturday in August at 11:00 a.m. enjoy a free, one-hour tour of the Glimmerglass campus, learn about the history of the company, and take a behind-the-scenes look at how each production comes together.
- Production Changeovers: When the curtain falls on a Saturday matinee, our skilled production crews begin a merciless race against the clock to change the scenery and lighting from the afternoon's to the evening's performance. Linger in the theater to watch and listen as the stage is transformed. Free; no reservation required.
- Free Q&As: Audience members are invited to remain in the theater after many performances for special Q&A sessions with the cast and creative teams. Free; no reservations required.
- Tour the Region: Explore the beauty that inspired James Fenimore Cooper and visit the area's many parks and camping grounds. Central New York is also home to many cultural attractions, parks, shops and antique dealers.