Black Lives Matter
Glimmerglass stands with the Black community and against racism.
Our company has and continues to strive toward building a more inclusive opera industry under the leadership of Francesca Zambello who has expressed her commitment toward social justice and diversity since her appointment in 2010.
We acknowledge the Black community faces disproportionate racially-charged violence. We grieve the killing of Black citizens nationwide. We stand with the Black community in the fight against racism.
Thank you to our community for keeping us accountable as a company, and for continuing the conversation about allyship, representation, and inclusion in which the entire opera industry must engage.
At our June 18 Virtual Town Hall, we will share the goals we identified and have been developing over the last year, including identifying a consultant to assist with the following:
- Comprehensively evaluate Glimmerglass’ productions, educational programs, and partnerships
- Review and bolster commitment to company equity, diversity and inclusion policies and procedures
- Expand equity, diversity, and inclusion trainings for all full-time and seasonal staff, as well as interns, Young Artists, and guest artists
- Recruit more diverse Board members, staff and interns
- Develop tools to monitor and evaluate progress
- Publish a concluding report designed as a guidebook for continuing efforts
Glimmerglass has received major support from Denise R. Sobel toward implementation of these initiatives. Sobel is also a key supporter of Roundabout Theater’s Theatrical Workforce Development Program.
Please feel free to contact us directly to continue the conversation.
Many support the movement through donations to anti-racist organizations and marching in solidarity. Many would like to donate and march, but lack disposable income or identify as high-risk for COVID-19.
There are many types of support, and you can absolutely contribute to anti-racist work without financial cost or leaving your home. Glimmerglass staff members have compiled a list of anti-racist actions and resources, and will continue to update as the world, and arts industry, work toward a more just future.
If you have suggestions, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org